Amway Churches

Let me be clear up front that I love Amway products and Amway people and even those Amway motivational tapes I bought every week. It's the business end I struggled with. I also love the Church and Christians, but I'm not so crazy about the organizational aspect of Christianity. Both have similar strengths and weaknesses.

I joined Amway three times, the last time in its new face as Quixtar. I could recognize a distributor from a mile away, just like I can pick out a military man even though he’s wearing civvies. I've been in the same church that have undergone three transformations, first as a broken Southern Baptist church, then as a purpose driven church, and now one that's only purpose is our relationship with God and one another. I can usually pick out other Christians, though usually I’m looking for those who I believe appear to live more Godly lives than my own.

I miss the big Amway functions where thousands of the faithful turn out to celebrate the success of others in the business. I miss the members of our church who have split away to do their own thing; far more have left than have stayed. The loss of relationships has been painful. Hurtful things have been said on both sides. Both sides have thought they were justified before God, thus the other side has to be in rebellion and estranged from the Body of Christ. So sad that we play those games with one another.

One of the things I hated most about Amway was sponsoring new distributors. The thing I dislike most about the church is witnessing. I used to hate being recruited by distributors who couldn’t recognize that I was already one of them. I still hate when another Christian gets in my face and asks me, “If you were to die today, do you know where you’ll spend eternity?” As if they can’t look at me and see Jesus! I didn’t want any part of that person’s business or their church if they just saw me as another mark.

In Amway it's a numbers thing - you threw as much mud on the wall as you could and worked with what stuck. All you need is six, who can get six, who can get six (sounds demonic doesn't it?) In Church it's about numbers too. The bigger your numbers, the more your collections, and the more programs you can offer, and the more ministry opportunities you can make available to the congregation. In Amway we had our own lingo for those who couldn't see what we saw in the business: "Some will. Some won't. So what? Who's next?!" In Church we have our lingo for those who don't recognize the opportunity we're offering them: "Lost. Heathens. Unwashed." In Amway if you quit the business you were a ‘loser’. In church if you quit the church, you were a ‘backslider’. In Amway, anyone could be successful if they wanted it bad enough. In the Church, anyone can be saved, but they have to qualify for membership.

In Amway, if everyone on your team is doing what they're supposed to - buying from your own business, books, tapes and functions - you're the best of friends. In church if everyone is in lock-step with the church's articles of incorporation and by-laws and the mission's statement, and if you show up every time the doors are open, then you're counted among the chosen. But let a distributor balk at the price of a box of soap and all of a sudden you're a liability. Let a member of the congregation question the decision to go with cubed ice over a crushed ice machine and you've got a 'situation'.

The point I'm making here is that often we lose sight of our purpose for being part of an organization or system. Often we invest so much into the system that we feel obligated to protect our assets, and that thing becomes more important than our dreams or our God. We find our identities in the organization and measure our worth by the approval of others; but buck the system and watch out! It is easier to get out of the system than it is to get the system out of you.

Former Amway distributors who left under less than friendly circumstances often go off and find a new product to market. They'll say it's "Just like Amway; only better!" Christian churches will split and the people will go off and create a new church and believe it is better than what they left. It becomes a competition, and in competitions someone has to lose. Most times people will rejoice in the failures of the old organization. Oh, they might walk up and hug you if they meet you in a public place, but behind closed doors they're lying about you in order to make themselves appear to be right. Sometimes the people you were closest to will cross the street to avoid you, or snap at any attempt you make to be civil with them. It's about competition and being right. It's about worth.

When Amway morphed into Quixtar, it was promoted as the ultimate network marketing model out there. When mega churches began to decline and home churches began to gain more popularity, it was a movement of God. Nothing has changed, we're still playing the same game; we're just calling it something else.

The Church has taught that God sent His Son to become sin, and to suffer and die on that cross for our worthless souls. Sure Jesus loved us enough to die for us, but we're left wondering about the Father's love if He would do that to His own Son. If He hates sin that much, how disappointed and angry must He be every time I sin - which is several times an hour when I'm awake. Some of my dreams would fall under the sin category, especially the ones I don't want to wake up from.

The truth is, both Jesus and the Father loves us so much that they cooperated together to destroy sin so that it has no power over us. God makes no requirement of us, but made His own provision by taking our sins upon Himself and dying in human form so that we can experience the reality of His Kingdom.

Churches that preach the Word have seldom gotten it right. It's not about us conforming to a set of laws in order to be worthy of Christ's sacrifice; it's about Jesus, who never felt the need to compete or even to play their game. His Church isn't an organization or a building; it is a relationship between us and His Father. We don't need a system to confirm our worth. Before we were born, before Jesus died on that cross, before Creation itself, God found us worthy to be loved.

Unlike Amway which will someday become obsolete, the Church will last forever. But the Church as we know it today will bear little resemblance to the Bride Christ will return to claim. He is looking for those who love Him because they know Him.

I suppose I should close by saying that I’m exactly where I should be in a church relationship. That’s not to say that everyone else’ model is wrong, or that we won’t end up at the same Cross. This is simply where God has me right now. The Carpenter’s Shop hasn’t been for me another team to belong to, but a relationship with people who love Jesus and who don’t try to get me to conform to their system. We’re free to grow as fast or as slow as we allow God to invade our lives. We don’t look at one another and wonder how we can benefit from someone else. We see each other as fellow travelers God has joined because He loves us enough to never leave us. It is much easier to love others when you're not competing with them.

No comments: