Elvis! Elvis! Elvis!

I became an Elvis fan at a young age, but my parents wouldn't let me buy his records until my 13th birthday when they gave me his 'How Great Thou Art' album. My side of the bedroom when I was growing up was filled from wall to wall with pictures of Elvis. I'm not gay; Mama just wouldn't let us stick pin-ups of women on the walls (but I did have the poster of Raquel Welch in '1,000,000 Years B.C.') upstairs in the pool table room.



Last night I sat on the living room floor and inventoried and boxed up my Elvis records. There's a guy in Apex who's interested in buying them. Those records have survived three divorces and 24 years of military service. I used to say that I was going to have my Elvis records buried with me when I die...but since I'm going to be cremated I don't want to ruin perfectly good vinyl.

Boxing those records up was bittersweet. Sweet because I remember playing every one of them. I used to know the words to every song in the order they appear on the album. My Girl Happy and Girls! Girls! Girls! album covers are the most worn because I played those over and over again. Somewhere along the line someone has stolen a few of my albums. My King Creole and I Got Lucky albums are gone. I had a Sun record that my brother sold while I was stationed overseas. I enjoyed looking at the pictures on the back of the album, especially if the co-star was Raquel Welch (Roustabout), Ursula Andress (Fun In Acapulco), and Mary Ann Mobley (Girl Happy & Harum Scarum). The movie soundtracks are forgettable for the most part, but the women were almost always beautiful (except for Barbara Stanwyck (Roustabout) and Carolyn Jones (King Creole)

It was from Elvis that I learned to say "Yes Ma'am" and "No Ma'am", which won me "Most Courteous" in my senior year of high school. I wore pink shirts and black trousers to school, which should have won me "Best Dressed".

I can still remember the stereo console with the turntable, radio and 8-track tape I purchased with my own money as a teenager. I'd stack five or six of Elvis' records on the platter, crank up the volume, and sing along with Elvis. When I was shipped off to basic training at Ft. Jackson, SC, Elvis' step-brother, Billy Stanley. I would stand up in the back of the deuce-n-half on the way to the rifle ranges and sing 'Wellll, Well, Well, Well, Well, Wellll, I gotta woman, way across town, who's good to me, oh yeah! Said I gotta woman, way across town. She's good to me, oh yeah. She's my baby, don't you understand? I'm her loving maaannn, Well, I gotta woman, way across town, she's good to me!" just like Elvis. Now I can't sing like him anymore, but I can do Elmer Fudd singing Love Me Tender.

I really hate to have to sell these records. There are 80 albums and 26 of the 45- RPMs and 1 78-RPM EP (extended play). They're worth more than the $750 price I put on them. In fact, if I take them home tonight I won't be disappointed. I hate to think that I hold on to any possession too tightly; for after all, they're just things, and I haven't had a turntable in over twenty years. Still, it's not so much the music as the memories I don't want to let go of. I'm not the Elvis fan that I used to be, but he's been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.

2 comments:

Jimmy said...

Before you sell to anyone...talk to this guy,http://www.moneymusic.com/

Larry McGarr said...

Thanks Jimmy,

The records didn't sell the other day; the wife only wanted the gospel and Christmas albums and I wouldn't split the collection. What I did do was find a list of all of Elvis' records so that I can look for the ones I'm missing. I'd rather give them to Chris' fiance than have them treated like something you'd buy on a yardsale.