Obama's Legacy

Should Barack Obama win the election this November, I will not lose any sleep over it. In fact, I will pray for him and for our other elected officials. Most of all I will pray for America, because regardless of politics, we do live in the best country on God's earth.

I'm a staunch conservative politically, but there is little to be excited over this election - other than Governor Sarah Palin. But if polls are right, Obama will squeak by McCain and become America's first black President. Obama may not want to be labeled as a 'black' President, but indeed if he's elected it won't be because of his qualifications but because of his color. He is a novelty to some, a hopeful change in Washington for many, a cause for millions. Some in his own party won't vote for him because he's black; most of his party is black, so they will. (89% of black Americans supported John Kerry in the 2004 elections).

The way he performs his duties as President will be filtered through many lenses. Should Barack Obama perceive himself as a servant of all Americans, he will become a sell-out to many Afro-Americans and at the same time ensure that the Democratic Party remains the largest political party in America. However, if he caters to his biggest supporters, the legacy that Obama leaves will reflect not only on himself, but on blacks as a race.

How we process our identity says a lot about who we are. Obama claims that he was led to the Lord and discipled by Reverend Jeremiah Wright. Disciple means 'reproduce yourself'. What did Jeremiah Wright reproduce in Barack Obama? Martin Luther King dreamed that some day a person would not be judged on the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I don't know if America is there yet. Black 'leaders' and the Democratic party have much to lose if that day ever comes. Obama can either be an inspiration to black Americans, or he can be like his mentor and flame racial hatred and further divide our nation.

I do believe that Barack Obama is concerned what kind of legacy he will leave behind, both personally, and as America's first black President. I think he will not risk being treated poorly by history. At the same time, Barack Obama - a professed follower of Christ - has repeatedly voted contrary to biblical mandates. He will give an account to God some day for the way he led the greatest nation on Earth. And as voters, we must give an account for how we entrust our future to leaders who oppose those mandates.

Our faith, if we have faith, cannot be entrusted to political parties but to Godly leaders who value His values, who love His people. There is no place in America for racial hatred, especially in churches and in the offices of our elected officials. America needs change, and I pray that Obama will at least begin the process of reuniting our nation. It is a difficult task for any man or woman, regardless of race. His legacy can be greatness or failure, divinely led or spiritually dead. We should all pray for divine greatness. His term will either unite America or insure that a true conservative wins the next election.

Go Palin/Gingrich in 2012!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!!! The fact that you think Black people will vote for Obama just because he is Black sure says something about you!!! The sad thing is that this country has not progressed enough since Martin Luther King that race is an issue. You are stereotyping the whole black race.

AND think for a nano second - Obama is white too. The fact that he has Black ancestory makes him Black only? No one mentions the taboo subject of BIRACIAL. Why do we need to discuss someones race when we decribe them?

I would bet money that if your new wife was anything but white, the relationship would not have gone any further after you found out. Racial issues may be a good topic of conversation for the two of you on a quiet evening. Most prejudges are so ingrained that we do not realize it until we stop and reflect on the subject. Please do so.

Like you say he will have to give an account to God on how he leads the country, but you will also have to give an account of your subtle, yet distructive, opinions about people because of their race.

No I am not Black, but I am in a family that is multiracial. Although I am not Black, I am experienced with negative racial attitudes.

The more blogs I read by people that profess to be religious, the more I pull away from organized religion. I will keep my spirituality and stay away from people that use religion to back up their opinions and do not open their eyes and minds.

Larry McGarr said...

I know that most black people voted for Obama because they were in the voting lines when I voted, they cheered in the streets, black pastors praised God for raising up one of their own....if this says anything about me, it's that I am observant.

I have children from a mixed racial marriage and I know what it's like for a white man to walk down the street with a black wife in the early 1970s in the South. Much has changed, not necessarily for the better.

I also know what it's like when politically correct snobs become indignant when I speak my own opinions on my own blog. I'm a self-professed bigot, not a racist. And I don't hide behind Anonymous, what you see is what you get with me.

Bill Clinton was the first black President according to many blacks with whom I know and work. They respect him because he cheated on his wife and set a low standard for personal responsibility, much like many black men. Don't believe me? Ask Tyler Perry, Bill Cosby or ask black women who are single parents to children of multiple black men.

I don't like Obama, didn't vote for him, but I will pray for him and for our Congress and Senate. Most racists would pray against him, just like they prayed against McCain.

Larry McGarr said...

After more than a year in the office, I find that my assessment of Barack Obama was wrong. He does not care what kind of legacy he leaves behind. He doesn't care about black or white Americans, only about making us equally poor. He is a mistake and I regret that I had any confidence in his character or intentions.